Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hermit Crab Net



Yesterday we bought 4 hermit crabs for my oldest son.  I haven't had hermit crabs in 7 years.  I love them!!!  I use to have 22 hermit crabs in a 20 gallon tank.  I had made different levels and fun climbing things for them.


So last night I set about crocheting a net for them to climb.  I used Vanna's Choice yarn and a size G hook.  I chained 43 stitches.  Single crocheted into the 2nd chain from the hook, chained 4, sc in 5th chain over, and repeat to the end, sc in last chain.  Then I chain 1, turn work around, sc in 1st st, ch 2, sc in 3rd ch over, chain 4, sc in 5th ch, etc.  Basically I tried to stagger the loops so that it looked more like a net.  I then made a very long chain that I connected to the other side so that I could connect it under the outside of the tank to hold it into place.


One adventurous hermit crab had no problems climbing it.  I did need to anchor the bottom down a bit.  I need to find a better solution for that (some sort of weights).


He ended up climbing up one of the chains to the top corner of the tank.  So I put a heavy book on top of the tank so that he couldn't escape.  I want to make a 2nd floor in the tank for them.  They are so fascinating.  Now to finally get around to knitting a hermit crab.  I bought a knitted amigurumi book just for that pattern.

2 comments: