Thursday, September 2, 2010

From Old T-Shirts To New Hot Pads



Last weekend when we stopped by my in-law's place, they were packing up to move.  While going through their things, my mother-in-law came across some old shirts that she would no longer wear due to stains.  So she gave them to me to craft with.  Today I went through them and found 3 that were suitable for making tarn (t-shirt yarn) out of.  In the end, only 2 were tarn worthy.  The middle one's print took up to much of the shirt, and thus would not give me enough tarn.  I'm going to making something else out of that one.


Here are my 2 skeins of gray tarn.  I know a lot of people like colorful tarn, but I actually like gray tarn.  Maybe its because gray shirts have usually been really comfortable for me to wear that the tarn makes me feel comfortable.


I was able to make these 4 flower hot pads from those 2 skeins.  I followed Cindy's pattern found here.  The first one (upper left) has one to many petals.  I finally figured out how to get the desired 7 petals after that.  The small one (lower left) only used 4 out of the 5 rounds, because I ran out of tarn.  My favorite is the lower right one, because it uses two colors in it.  I'm feeling pretty productive today.  What is really nice about Cindy's pattern is that it uses one skein of tarn (which can be hard to come by at times) and they make the perfect hot pad.

9 comments:

  1. WOW!!! You are amazing! I am hoping to have a booth at the Chelmsford Farmers Market. Come by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hot pads are cute! Is there a trick to making the tarn? I tried it years ago and didn't have luck with it. After seeing you hot pads I want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to try the tarn!! Awesome! thanks for sharing and linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cool. I wish I knew how to crochet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're gorgeous! I'm so impressed. Your tarn is inspirational. Sure wish I could crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I just looked at how you made the tarn and never knew you could do that! This is really neat! Excellent job! (I like the grey too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so awesome - I didn't know what tarn was - thanks for the new info :)

    I became a follower of your blog - please follow me :)

    http://moemade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never really thought of making tarn. What a great idea! I'm just learning how to crochet, so this is definitely something I'll be adding to my 'to do list'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like the look of those tarn balls. they look like soft and happy little bird's nests. your hotpads are lovely too, btw, with their soft subtle tones!

    ReplyDelete